- The definition of marriage is the religious or legal process through which people become husband and wife, husband and husband or wife and wife, or the state of being married.
An example of marriage is the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony.
A couple celebrate their marriage.
marriage definition by Webster's New World
- the state of being married; relation between spouses; married life; wedlock; matrimony
- the act of marrying; wedding
- the rite or form used in marrying
- any close or intimate union
- the king and queen of a suit, esp. as a meld in pinochle
Origin: Middle English mariage ; from Old French ; from marier: see marry
marriage definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. The legal union of a man and woman as husband and wife, and in some jurisdictions, between two persons of the same sex, usually entailing legal obligations of each person to the other.b. A similar union of more than two people; a polygamous marriage.c. A union between persons that is recognized by custom or religious tradition as a marriage.d. A common-law marriage.e. The state or relationship of two adults who are married: Their marriage has been a happy one.
- A wedding.
- A close union: “the most successful marriage of beauty and blood in mainstream comics” (Lloyd Rose).
- Games The combination of the king and queen of the same suit, as in pinochle.
Origin: Middle English mariage, from Old French, from marier, to marry; see marry1.
marriage - Ologies & -Isms Definition
marriage - Legal Definition