- Intimacy is defined as mental, emotional or physical closeness such as a personal remark, a warm and familiar setting, or detailed knowledge about a subject.
- The close relationship you have with your spouse when you can share everything is an example of intimacy.
- Sexual relations are an example of intimacy.
- A remark to your friend about the very personal nature of her life or marriage is an example of an intimacy.
- A warm, cozy restaurant with quiet tables where you sit close to your dinner guests is an example of a restaurant that offers intimacy.
intimacy definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. intimacies
- the state or fact of being intimate; intimate association; familiarity
- an intimate act
- illicit sexual intercourse: a euphemism
intimacy definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. in·ti·ma·cies
- The condition of being intimate.
- An instance of being intimate.