- The definition of liaison is a meeting in secret.
An example of liaison is a couple secretly meeting at a hotel.
- Liaison is defined as someone who links people.
An example of a liaison is an ambassador who communicates between two countries politically.
liaison definition by Webster's New World
- a linking up or connecting of two or more separate entities or of the parts, as military units, of a whole so that they can work together effectively
- an illicit love affair
- in spoken French, the linking of words, under certain conditions, by pronouncing the final consonant, ordinarily silent, of one word as though it were the initial consonant of the following word, as in the phrase chez elle (pronounced s̸hā zelʹ)
- a person who functions as a connection, as between persons or groups
Origin: French ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin ligato ; from ligare, to bind: see ligature
liaison definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. An instance or a means of communication between different groups or units of an organization, especially in the armed forces.b. One that maintains communication: served as the President's liaison with Congress.
- a. A close relationship, connection, or link.b. An adulterous relationship; an affair.
- Linguistics Pronunciation of the usually silent final consonant of a word when followed by a word beginning with a vowel, especially in French.
Origin: French, from Old French, from Latin ligātiō, ligātiōn-, from ligātus, past participle of ligāre, to bind; see ligate.