- Intermediary is defined as happening between two persons or two events, or functioning as a middle person to solve a dispute between two people.
- An example of intermediary used as an adjective is in the phrase "intermediary story," which means a story that happens in between two other events.
- An example of intermediary used as an adjective is in the phrase "intermediary request," which means something requested by the person who is in the position to solve a dispute between two other people.
- The definition of an intermediary is a person who helps to settle a dispute between two people.
An example of an intermediary is a person who helps a couple come to the terms of their divorce.
- acting between two persons; acting as mediator
- being or happening between; intermediate
Origin of intermediaryFrench intermédiaire from Classical Latin intermedius: see intermediate + -ary
- a go-between; mediator
- any medium, means, or agency
- an intermediate form, phase, etc.
- Existing or occurring between; intermediate.
- Acting as a mediator or an agent between persons or things.
- One that acts as a mediator.
- One that acts as an agent between persons or things; a means.
- An intermediate state or stage.
Origin of intermediaryProbably French intermédiaire from Late Latin intermedius intermediate ; see intermediate .
intermediary (plural intermediaries)
- An agent acting as a mediator between sides that may disagree.
- An arranger of a contract or other agreement who is separate from the parties to the agreement
- One or several stages of an event which occurs after the start and before the end.
- A person or organisation in an intermediate position in a supply chain of goods or services
- The intermediary between the manufacturer and retailer is the wholesaler
From French intermédiaire
intermediary - Investment & Finance Definition
A person who has been given the legal right to work for another person. An intermediary such as an investment banker may help in arranging a deal between two companies that want to merge. An intermediary also may be an investment advisor who determines how to invest funds for his clients.