- The definition of a referee is a person who mediates or resolves a dispute, or is a person in a sporting event who monitors the teams and makes sure all rules are followed.
- A parent who is continually breaking up disputes between his kids is an example of a referee for their disputes.
- A person in a basketball game who watches the players and calls penalties when the rules are broken is an example of a referee.
A basketball referee.
- a person to whom something is referred for decision
- an official who enforces the rules in certain sports contests; specif., the chief official in a football game
- Law a person appointed by a court to study, take testimony in, judge, and report on, a matter
- an academic authority who examines and evaluates an article, book, etc. with regard to its fitness for publication
- Brit. a person, esp. one with good credentials, given as a reference in seeking employment
- One to whom something is referred, especially for settlement, decision, or an opinion as to the thing's quality.
- Sports & Games An official supervising the play; an umpire.
- Law A person appointed by a court to assist a judge in the trying of a case or to hear certain types of cases.
verbref·e·reed, ref·e·ree·ing, ref·e·rees
- (sports) An umpire or judge; the official who makes sure the rules are followed during a game
- A person who settles a dispute
- A person who writes a letter of reference or provides a reference by phone call for someone
- An expert who judges the manuscript of an article or book to decide if it should be published
- In general, a referee moves around with the game, while an umpire stays (approximately) in one place.
(third-person singular simple present referees, present participle refereeing, simple past and past participle refereed)
- To act as a referee.
- 'He has to referee three hockey games this weekend.'
- 'She has to finish refereeing an article for Nature.'
Middle English, from Old French past participle of referer (“to relate, to refer”), from Latin referre (“to carry back, to report, to notify”); as if refer + -ee, that is, the person to whom something is referred for consideration.
referee - Legal Definition