- The definition of a referee is a person who mediates or resolves a dispute, or is a person in a sporting event who monitors the teams and makes sure all rules are followed.
- A parent who is continually breaking up disputes between his kids is an example of a referee for their disputes.
- A person in a basketball game who watches the players and calls penalties when the rules are broken is an example of a referee.
A basketball referee.
- a person to whom something is referred for decision
- an official who enforces the rules in certain sports contests; specif., the chief official in a football game
- Law a person appointed by a court to study, take testimony in, judge, and report on, a matter
- an academic authority who examines and evaluates an article, book, etc. with regard to its fitness for publication
- Brit. a person, esp. one with good credentials, given as a reference in seeking employment
- One to whom something is referred, especially for settlement, decision, or an opinion as to the thing's quality.
- Sports & Games An official supervising the play; an umpire.
- Law A person appointed by a court to assist a judge in the trying of a case or to hear certain types of cases.
verbref·e·reed, ref·e·ree·ing, ref·e·rees
- (sports) An umpire or judge; the official who makes sure the rules are followed during a game
- A person who settles a dispute
- A person who writes a letter of reference or provides a reference by phone call for someone
- An expert who judges the manuscript of an article or book to decide if it should be published
- In general, a referee moves around with the game, while an umpire stays (approximately) in one place.
(third-person singular simple present referees, present participle refereeing, simple past and past participle refereed)
- To act as a referee.
Middle English, from Old French past participle of referer (â€œto relate, to referâ€), from Latin referre (â€œto carry back, to report, to notifyâ€); as if refer +â€Ž -ee, that is, the person to whom something is referred for consideration.
referee - Legal Definition