- The definition of a referee is a person who mediates or resolves a dispute, or is a person in a sporting event who monitors the teams and makes sure all rules are followed.
- A parent who is continually breaking up disputes between his kids is an example of a referee for their disputes.
- A person in a basketball game who watches the players and calls penalties when the rules are broken is an example of a referee.
A basketball referee.
referee definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a person to whom something is referred for decision
- an official who enforces the rules in certain sports contests; specif., the chief official in a football game
- Law a person appointed by a court to study, take testimony in, judge, and report on, a matter
- an academic authority who examines and evaluates an article, book, etc. with regard to its fitness for publication
- Brit. a person, esp. one with good credentials, given as a reference in seeking employment
referee definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- One to whom something is referred, especially for settlement, decision, or an opinion as to the thing's quality.
- Sports & Games An official supervising the play; an umpire.
- Law A person appointed by a court to make a determination of a case or to investigate and make a report on it. See Synonyms at judge.
To judge as referee.verb, intransitive
To act as referee.
referee - Business Definition
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Business Terms Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- A court-appointed officer who takes testimony, gathers evidence, and reports back to the court.
- A person who is appointed to settle a dispute.
referee - Legal Definition
A quasijudicial master appointed by a court to assist with a specific matter, and who in certain jurisdictions is permitted to take testimony and determine factual issues that, eventually, are reported back to the court for judgment. See also master.