- Reference is defined as a mention of a situation.
An example of reference is the mention of a person's religion to another.
- The definition of a reference is someone who will give a recommendation for a position on behalf of another.
An example of reference is a professor who will write a letter recommending a student for an internship.
- Reference means someone or something which is a source of information about a subject.
An example of reference is an encyclopedia.
reference definition by Webster's New World
- a referring or being referred; esp., submission of a problem, dispute, etc. to a person, committee, or authority for settlement
- relation; connection; regard: in reference to his letter
- the directing of attention to a person or thing
- a mention or allusion
- an indication, as in a book or article, of some other work or passage to be consulted
- the work or passage so indicated
- the mark or sign, as a number, letter, or symbol, directing the reader to a footnote, etc.in full reference mark
- the giving of the name of another person who can offer information or recommendation
- the person so indicated
- a written statement of character, qualification, or ability, as of someone seeking a position; testimonial
- use or consultation to get information, as an aid in research, etc.: often attributive: reference books
- a book, etc. used for reference
reference definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- An act of referring: filed away the article for future reference.
- a. Significance in a specified context: Her speeches have special reference to environmental policy.b. Meaning or denotation.
- The state of being related or referred: with reference to; in reference to.
- A mention of an occurrence or situation: made frequent references to her promotion.
- a. A note in a publication referring the reader to another passage or source.b. The passage or source so referred to.c. A work frequently used as a source.d. A mark or footnote used to direct a reader elsewhere for additional information.
- Law a. Submission of a case to a referee.b. Legal actions conducted before or by a referee.
- a. A person who is in a position to recommend another or to vouch for his or her fitness, as for a job.b. A statement about a person's qualifications, character, and dependability.
- To supply references to: “Our memories are addressed and referenced . . . by significant fragments of their own content” (Frederick Turner).
- To mention in a reference; refer to: He referenced her book in his speech. See Usage Note at allude.
- refˈer·enc·er noun
- refˌer·enˈtial adjective
- refˌer·enˈtial·ly adverb
reference - Phrases/Idioms
make reference to