- The definition of a lexicon is a dictionary or the vocabulary of a language, a people or a subject.
- An example of lexicon is YourDictionary.com.
- An example of lexicon is a set of medical terms.
- a dictionary, esp. of an ancient language
- the special vocabulary of a particular author, field of study, etc.
- a record or inventory: a notable case in the lexicon of subversion
- Linguis. the total stock of morphemes in a language
Origin: Gr lexikon, neuter of lexikos, of words from lexis, a saying, phrase, word from legein: see logic
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. lex·i·cons or lex·i·ca
- A dictionary.
- A stock of terms used in a particular profession, subject, or style; a vocabulary: the lexicon of surrealist art.
- Linguistics The morphemes of a language considered as a group.
Origin: Medieval Latin, from Greek lexikon (biblion), word(book), from neuter of lexikos, of words, from lexis, word, from legein, to speak; see leg- in Indo-European roots.