- Terminology is the language used to describe a specific thing, or the language used within a specific field.
Special language used by scientists is an example of science terminology.
- the terms or system of terms used in a specific science, art, etc.; nomenclature: lexicographer's terminology
- the systematic study of terms
Origin of terminologyGerman terminologie ; from Medieval Latin terminus, a term ; from Classical Latin (see term) + German -logie, -logy
- The vocabulary of technical terms used in a particular field, subject, science, or art; nomenclature.
- The study of nomenclature.
Origin of terminologyGerman Terminologie, from Medieval Latin terminus, expression; see term.
- The doctrine of terms; a theory of terms or appellations; a treatise on terms, a system of specialized terms.
- The set of terms actually used in any business, art, science, or the like; nomenclature; technical terms; as, the terminology of chemistry.
terminology - Computer Definition
The terminology used in the computer and telecommunications field adds tremendous confusion not only for the lay person, but for the technicians themselves. What many do not realize is that terms are made up by anybody and everybody in a nonchalant, casual manner without any regard or understanding of their ultimate ramifications. Programmers come up with error messages that make sense to them at the moment and never give a thought that people actually have to read them when something goes wrong. In addition, marketing people turn everything upside down, naming things based on how high-tech and sexy they sound. And, the worst of all is naming specific technologies with generic words. See naming fiascos and technical writer. Following is an example of two routing protocols that are used to keep routers up-to-date with network information. OSPF and IS-IS do similar things; in fact, OSPF evolved from IS-IS, yet every element associated with these standards has a different name. This constant changing of names, changing of menus, changing of parameters, etc., is what makes this field incomprehensible and discourages a lot of good people from entering it. IS-IS OSPF Subdomain = Area Level-1 area = Non-backbone area Level-2 subdomain = Backbone area L1L2 router = Area Border Router Intermediate = Autonomous System System Boundary Router End system = Host Intermediate system = Router Link = Circuit Protocol data unit = Packet Designated = Designated Intermediate Router System Link-State PDU = Link-State Advertisement IIH PDU = Hello packet Complete Sequence = Database description Number PDU