- Nomenclature is defined as a system of names and terms used in a particular field of study or community.
An example of nomenclature is the language of sculpture.
- the system or set of names used in a specific branch of learning or activity, as in biology for plants and animals, or for the parts of a particular mechanism
- the act or a system of naming
Origin: L nomenclatura: see nomenclator
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A system of names used in an art or science: the nomenclature of mineralogy.
- The procedure of assigning names to the kinds and groups of organisms listed in a taxonomic classification: the rules of nomenclature in botany.
Origin: Latin nōmenclātūra, from nōmenclātor, nomenclator; see nomenclator.
- noˌmen·claˈtur·al adjective
nomenclature - Medical Definition