An example of nomenclature is the language of sculpture.
- the system or set of names used in a specific branch of learning or activity, as in biology for plants and animals, or for the parts of a particular mechanism
- the act or a system of naming
Origin of nomenclatureClassical Latin nomenclatura: see nomenclator
- A system of names used in an art or science: the nomenclature of mineralogy.
- The system or procedure of assigning names to groups of organisms as part of a taxonomic classification: the rules of nomenclature in botany.
Origin of nomenclatureLatin n&omacron;mencl&amacron;t&umacron;ra, from n&omacron;mencl&amacron;tor, nomenclator; see nomenclator.
(countable and uncountable, plural nomenclatures)
- A set of names or terms.
- A set of rules used for forming the names or terms in a particular field of arts or sciences.