The words you know make up your vocabulary.
- An example of vocabulary is all the words that a toddler understands.
- An example of vocabulary is the language used by doctors.
Vocabulary is the all the language and words either used or understood by a person or group of people.
- a list of words and, often, phrases, abbreviations, inflectional forms, etc., usually arranged in alphabetical order and defined or otherwise identified, as in a dictionary or glossary
- all the words of a language
- all the words used by a particular person, socioeconomic group, profession, etc.in full active vocabulary
- all the words recognized and understood, although not necessarily used, by a particular personin full passive vocabulary
- all the words used by a particular person, socioeconomic group, profession, etc.
- an interrelated group of nonverbal symbols, signs, gestures, etc. used for communication or expression in a particular art, skill, etc.
Origin of vocabularyMedieval Latin vocabularium from Classical Latin vocabulum, a word: see vocable
- All the words of a language.
- The sum of words used by, understood by, or at the command of a particular person or group.
- A list of words and often phrases, usually arranged alphabetically and defined or translated; a lexicon or glossary.
- A supply of expressive means; a repertoire of communication: a dancer's vocabulary of movement.
Origin of vocabularyFrench vocabulaire from Old French from Medieval Latin vocābulārium from neuter of vocābulārius of words from Latin vocābulum name ; see vocable .
- A usually alphabetized and explained collection of words e.g. of a particular field, or prepared for a specific purpose, often for learning.
- The collection of words a person knows and uses.
- My Russian vocabulary is very limited.
- The stock of words used in a particular field.
- The vocabulary of social sciences is often incomprehensible to ordinary people.
- The words of a language collectively.
- The vocabulary of any language is influenced by contacts with other cultures.
- A range of artistic or stylistic forms or techniques