- a list of words and, often, phrases, abbreviations, inflectional forms, etc., usually arranged in alphabetical order and defined or otherwise identified, as in a dictionary or glossary
- all the words of a language
- all the words used by a particular person, socioeconomic group, profession, etc.in full active vocabulary
- all the words recognized and understood, although not necessarily used, by a particular personin full passive vocabulary
- all the words used by a particular person, socioeconomic group, profession, etc.
- an interrelated group of nonverbal symbols, signs, gestures, etc. used for communication or expression in a particular art, skill, etc.
Origin of vocabularyMedieval Latin vocabularium from Classical Latin vocabulum, a word: see vocable