- The definition of a designation is the act of pointing someone out with a name, a title or an assignment.
An example of designation is someone being named president of an organization.
designation definition by Webster's New World
- a pointing out; indication
- a naming for an office, post, or duty
- a distinguishing name, title, etc.
Origin: Middle English designacioun ; from Classical Latin designatio: see designate
designation definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The act of designating; a marking or pointing out.
- Nomination or appointment.
- A distinguishing name or title.
designation - Computer Definition
A name, title or identification of something. If ABC is designated as "123," then ABC is called "123," or ABC is assigned to the "123" category.