- The definition of a specification is a precise requirement, or a detailed description of workmanship, materials or processes.
A mandate that only domestic plywood be used in the construction of your home is an example of a specification.
specification definition by Webster's New World
- the act of specifying; detailed mention or definition
- a detailed description of the parts of a whole
- a statement or enumeration of particulars, as to actual or required size, quality, performance, terms, etc.: specifications for a new building
- something specified; specified item, particular, etc.
Origin: Midieval Latin specificatio
specification definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The act of specifying.
- a. specifications A detailed, exact statement of particulars, especially a statement prescribing materials, dimensions, and quality of work for something to be built, installed, or manufactured.b. A single item or article that has been specified.
- An exact written description of an invention by an applicant for a patent.
specification - Computer Definition
A description of something that is sufficiently detailed to provide someone with all the information necessary to manufacture it. See also standard.