The Lopez family made a reservation at their favorite restaurant to celebrate Grandma's birthday.
- An example of reservation is someone calling a restaurant and asking them to hold a table for a specific time.
- An example of reservation is a concern that holds a person back from doing something.
The definition of a reservation is something withheld or the act of withholding something.
- the act of reserving or that which is reserved; specif.,
- a withholding of a right, interest, etc.
- that part of a deed or contract which provides for this
- public land set aside for some special use: an Indian reservation, military reservation
- an arrangement by which a hotel room, theater or airline ticket, etc. is set aside and held until called for
- anything so reserved in advance
- the promise of or a request for such an arrangement
- a limiting condition or qualification, tacit or expressed, as in an agreement: an evaluation made without reservation
- a doubt or misgiving: often used in pl.: to make a promise with mental reservations
Origin of reservationMiddle English from Medieval Latin reservatio
- The act of reserving; a keeping back or withholding: the reservation of the right to use the property.
- a. A limiting qualification, condition, or exception: accepted with the reservation that she would have to leave early.b. often reservations A doubt or misgiving: has reservations about the proposal.
- A tract of land set apart by the federal government for a special purpose, especially one for the use of a Native American people.
- An arrangement by which accommodations are secured in advance, as in a hotel or restaurant or on an airplane.
- The act of reserving, withholding or keeping back.
- Something that is withheld or kept back.
- A limiting qualification (often used in the plural).
- I have reservations about your intentions.
- (US) A tract of land set apart by the US government for the use of a Native American people; Indian reservation (compare Canadian reserve).
- An arrangement by which accommodation or transport arrangements are secured in advance.
- (UK) the area which separates opposing lanes of traffic on a divided motorway.
From Middle French reservation.
reservation - Legal Definition
A right held back or given to the grantor, such as some right, profit, or interest in the estate or property that is being granted; a delayed decision by a court or other body on a point of law; a preservation of the right to dispute a point of contract by a party nevertheless performing same (such as, performing under reservation). See also under protest.