- The definition of a reservation is something withheld or the act of withholding something.
- An example of reservation is someone calling a restaurant and asking them to hold a table for a specific time.
- An example of reservation is a concern that holds a person back from doing something.
reservation definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- the act of reserving or that which is reserved; specif.,
- a withholding of a right, interest, etc.
- that part of a deed or contract which provides for this
- ☆ public land set aside for some special use: an Indian reservation, military reservation
- ☆ an arrangement by which a hotel room, theater or airline ticket, etc. is set aside and held until called for
- ☆ anything so reserved in advance
- ☆ the promise of or a request for such an arrangement
- a limiting condition or qualification, tacit or expressed, as in an agreement: to make a promise with mental reservations
Origin: Middle English ; from Midieval Latin reservatio
reservation definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- The act of reserving; a keeping back or withholding.
- Something that is kept back or withheld.
- A limiting qualification, condition, or exception: has reservations about the proposal.
- A tract of land set apart by the federal government for a special purpose, especially one for the use of a Native American people.
- a. An arrangement by which accommodations are secured in advance, as in a hotel or on an airplane.b. The accommodations so secured.c. The record or promise of such an arrangement.
- resˌer·vaˈtion·ist noun
reservation - Business Definition
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Business Terms Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- Property set aside for a specific purpose: The state government allocated funds for a 10,000-acre wildlife reservation surrounding the lake.
- A booking with an established time and place for an event or activity.
reservation - Legal Definition
A right held back or given to the grantor, such as some right, profit, or interest in the estate or property that is being granted; a delayed decision by a court or other body on a point of law; a preservation of the right to dispute a point of contract by a party nevertheless performing same (such as, performing under reservation). See also under protest.