Qualm is defined as a feeling of doubt or sickness.noun
Feeling nervous about accepting a new job is an example of a qualm.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- a sudden, brief feeling of sickness, faintness, or nausea
- a sudden feeling of uneasiness or doubt; misgiving
- a twinge of conscience; scruple
Origin: ME qualme < OE cwealm, death, disaster (akin to Ger qual, pain, Swed kvalm, nausea) < base of cwellan, to kill (see quell): all extant senses show melioration of the orig. meaning
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A sudden feeling of sickness, faintness, or nausea.
- A sudden disturbing feeling: qualms of homesickness.
- An uneasy feeling about the propriety or rightness of a course of action.
Origin: Origin unknown.
- qualmˈish adjective
- qualmˈish·ly adverb