- The definition of hesitation is someone pausing because they're having trouble making a decision or saying something.
An example of hesitation is a woman not saying "yes" right away when her boyfriend asks if she'll marry him.
- uncertainty; indecision
- the act of groping for words; halting speech
- a pausing or delaying
Origin of hesitationClassical Latin haesitatio
- The act or an instance of hesitating.
- The state of being hesitant.
- A pause or faltering in speech.
From Latin haesitātiōnem, accusative singular of haesitātiō (“hesitating, stammering”), from haesitō (“hesitate”).