Swarm of flies surrounding Egyptian woman and child.
- An example of a pestilence is the bubonic plague.
- An example of a pestilence is a swarm of mosquitoes carrying disease.
The definition of a pestilence is any infectious, fatal disease that is widespread or an evil influence or deliverer.
- any virulent or fatal contagious or infectious disease, esp. one of epidemic proportions, as bubonic plague
- anything, as a doctrine, regarded as harmful or dangerous
Origin of pestilenceOld French ; from Classical Latin pestilentia ; from pestilens: see pestilent
- A usually fatal epidemic disease, especially bubonic plague.
- A pernicious, evil influence or agent.