- Destruction is defined as the tearing down or dismantling or killing of something.
- An example of destruction is the effect of a bomb on a target.
- An example of destruction is many deaths resulting from a highly-infectious illness.
An excavator engaged in the destruction of a building.
destruction definition by Webster's New World
- the act or process of destroying; demolition or slaughter
- the fact or state of being destroyed
- the cause or means of destroying
Origin: Middle English destruccioun ; from Old French destruction ; from Classical Latin destructio ; from destructus, past participle of destruere: see destroy
destruction definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. The act of destroying.b. The condition of having been destroyed.
- The cause or means of destroying: weapons that could prove to be the destruction of humankind.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin dēstrūctiō, dēstrūctiōn-, from dēstrūctus, past participle of dēstruere, to destroy; see destroy.