- a restoring or being restored; specif.,
- reinstatement in a former position, rank, etc.
- restitution for loss, damage, etc.
- a putting or bringing back into a former, normal, or unimpaired state or condition
- a representation or reconstruction of the original form or structure, as of a building, fossil animal, etc.
- something restored
Origin of restorationMiddle English restauration from Middle French from Late Latin restauratio
- the reestablishment of the monarchy in England in 1660 under Charles II
- the period of the reign of Charles II (1660-85): sometimes taken as including the reign of James II (1685-88)