- An example of improvement is the U.S. dollar going up in value.
- An example of improvement is a student going from a grade C to an A in science.
- an improving or being improved; esp.,
- an increase in value or in excellence of quality or condition
- Now Rare profitable use
- an addition or change that improves something
- a person or thing representing a higher degree of excellence
- a change or addition to land or real property, as a sewer, fence, etc., that makes it more valuable or desirable
Origin of improvementAnglo-French emprowement
- a. The act or process of improving.b. The state of being improved.
- A change or addition that improves.
- The act of improving; advancement or growth; promotion in desirable qualities; progress toward what is better; melioration; as, the improvement of the mind, of land, roads, etc.
- The act of making profitable use or application of anything, or the state of being profitably employed; a turning to good account; practical application, as of a doctrine, principle, or theory, stated in a discourse.
- The state of being improved; betterment; advance; also, that which is improved; as, the new edition is an improvement on the old.
- Increase; growth; progress; advance.
- (plural): Valuable additions or betterments, as buildings, clearings, drains, fences, etc., on premises.
- (Patent Laws): A useful addition to, or modification of, a machine, manufacture, or composition.
improvement - Legal Definition