- Streamline is something that has a shape that provides little resistance to air or fluid flow.
An example of streamline is a slick, smooth aircraft.
- Streamline means to design something in a way that provides little resistance such as from air, water or quick movement.
- When you design an ultra-slick air craft with almost no wind resistance, this is an example of when you streamline.
- When a business process has five steps and you figure out a way to do it in two simpler steps and make a quicker movement, this is an example of when you streamline.
streamline definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- the path, or a section of the path, of a fluid moving past a solid object
- a contour with reference to its resistance, as to air
streamline definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
transitive verb stream·lined, stream·lin·ing, stream·lines
- To construct or design in a form that offers the least resistance to fluid flow.
- To improve the appearance or efficiency of; modernize.
- a. To organize.b. To simplify.
- A line that is parallel to the direction of flow of a fluid at a given instant.
- The path of one particle in a flowing fluid.
- A contour of a body constructed so as to offer minimum resistance to a fluid flow.
streamline - Computer Definition
Computer Desktop EncyclopediaTHIS DEFINITION IS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLYAll other reproduction is strictly prohibited without permission from the publisher.© 1981-2014 The Computer Language Company Inc. All rights reserved.
A Macintosh tracing program from Adobe. It converts scanned or MacPaint images into PostScript files, which can be modified in Adobe Illustrator.
streamline - Cultural Definition
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- A “streamlined” design is one in which objects that move through a gas or liquid are shaped to match these lines, and therefore reduce the energy required to produce that motion.
streamline - Science Definition
To construct or reconstruct an object to reduce the amount of drag it undergoes as it moves through a fluid, especially air or water.