A bus is a type of vehicle.
- An example of vehicle is a bus.
- An example of vehicle is the Internet as a means of communication.
The definition of a vehicle is a type of transportation or a way that something is conveyed.
- any device or contrivance for carrying or conveying persons or objects, esp. over land or in space, as an automobile, bicycle, sled, or spacecraft
- a means by which thoughts are expressed or made known: music as the vehicle for one's ideas
- in a metaphor, that word or term whose usual, literal meaning is applied in a figurative, nonliteral way to the tenor (sense ): in “all the world's a stage”, “world” is the tenor and “stage” is the vehicle
- a play, film, etc. thought of as a means of communication or as a means of presenting a specified actor or company
- Painting a liquid, as water or oil, with which pigments are mixed for use
- Pharmacy a substance, as a syrup, in which medicines are given
Origin of vehicleFrench véhicule ; from Classical Latin vehiculum, carriage ; from vehere, to carry: see way
- a. A device or structure for transporting persons or things; a conveyance: a space vehicle.b. A self-propelled conveyance that runs on tires; a motor vehicle.
- A medium through which something is transmitted, expressed, or accomplished: His novels are a vehicle for his political views.
- The concrete or specific word or phrase that is applied to the tenor of a metaphor and gives the metaphor its figurative power, as walking shadow in “Life's but a walking shadow” (Shakespeare).
- A play, role, or piece of music used to display the special talents of one performer or company.
- An inactive substance that is combined with an active medication to facilitate administration.
- A substance, such as oil, in which paint pigments are mixed for application.
Origin of vehicleLatin vehiculum, from vehere, to carry; see wegh- in Indo-European roots.
- A conveyance; a device for carrying or transporting substances, objects or individuals.
- A medium for expression of talent or views.
- A liquid content (e.g. oil) which acts as a binding and drying agent in paint. (FM 55-501).
- An entity to achieve an end.
- (Buddhism) A mode or method of spiritual practice; a yana.
- (Hinduism) An animal or (rarely) a plant on which a Hindu deity rides or sits