The definition of a vehicle is a type of transportation or a way that something is conveyed.noun
- An example of vehicle is a bus.
- An example of vehicle is the Internet as a means of communication.
- any device or contrivance for carrying or conveying persons or objects, esp. over land or in space, as an automobile, bicycle, sled, or spacecraft
- a means by which thoughts are expressed or made known: music as the vehicle for one's ideas
- in a metaphor, that word or term whose usual, literal meaning is applied in a figurative, nonliteral way to the tenor (sense ): in “all the world's a stage”, “world” is the tenor and “stage” is the vehicle
- a play, film, etc. thought of as a means of communication or as a means of presenting a specified actor or company
- Painting a liquid, as water or oil, with which pigments are mixed for use
- Pharmacy a substance, as a syrup, in which medicines are given
Origin: Fr véhicule < L vehiculum, carriage < vehere, to carry: see way
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. A device or structure for transporting persons or things; a conveyance: a space vehicle.b. A self-propelled conveyance that runs on tires; a motor vehicle.
- A medium through which something is transmitted, expressed, or accomplished: His novels are a vehicle for his political views.
- The concrete or specific word or phrase that is applied to the tenor of a metaphor and gives the metaphor its figurative power, as walking shadow in “Life's but a walking shadow” (Shakespeare).
- A play, role, or piece of music used to display the special talents of one performer or company.
- A substance of no therapeutic value used to convey an active medicine for administration.
- A substance, such as oil, in which paint pigments are mixed for application.
Origin: Latin vehiculum, from vehere, to carry; see wegh- in Indo-European roots.
vehicle - Medical Definition