A small church organ.
- The definition of an organ is a part of the body that has a specific function.
An example of a organ is the liver.
- An organ is defined as a large wind keyboard musical instrument.
An example of organ is the instrument most often played in church.
- a large wind instrument consisting of various sets of pipes which, as they are opened by corresponding keys on one or more keyboards, allow passage to a column of compressed air that causes sound by vibration
- any of several musical instruments producing similar or somewhat similar sounds
- Archaic any musical instrument; esp., a wind instrument
- in animals and plants, a part composed of specialized tissues and adapted to the performance of a specific function or functions
- the penis: a nontechnical use
- a means or instrument for the performance of some action: an organ of local government
- a means of communicating ideas or opinions, as a periodical
Origin of organMiddle English organe ; from Old English organa and amp; Old French organe, both ; from Classical Latin organum, tool, implement (in LL(Ec), a church organ) ; from Classical Greek organon, an implement, engine ; from ergon, work
- Music a. An instrument consisting of a number of pipes that sound tones when supplied with air and a keyboard that operates a mechanism controlling the flow of air to the pipes. Also called pipe organ.b. Any one of various other instruments, such as the electronic organ, that resemble a pipe organ either in mechanism or sound.
- Biology A differentiated part of an organism, such as an eye, wing, or leaf, that performs a specific function.
- An instrument or agency dedicated to the performance of specified functions: The FBI is an organ of the Justice Department.
- An instrument or means of communication, especially a periodical issued by a political party, business firm, or other group.
Origin of organMiddle English, from Old French organe and from Old English organe, both from Latin organum, tool, instrument, from Greek organon; see werg- in Indo-European roots.
- A largest part of an organism, composed of tissues that perform similar functions.
- (by extension) A body of an organization dedicated to the performing of certain functions.
- (music) A musical instrument that has multiple pipes which play when a key is pressed, or an electronic instrument designed to replicate such.
- An official magazine, newsletter, or similar publication of an organization.
- A species of cactus (Stenocereus thurberi).
- (slang) The penis.
(third-person singular simple present organs, present participle organing, simple past and past participle organed)
- (obsolete) To supply with an organ or organs; to fit with organs.