An organ is defined as a large wind keyboard musical instrument.noun
An example of organ is the instrument most often played in church.
The definition of an organ is a part of the body that has a specific function.noun
An example of a organ is the liver.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- a large wind instrument consisting of various sets of pipes which, as they are opened by corresponding keys on one or more keyboards, allow passage to a column of compressed air that causes sound by vibration
- any of several musical instruments producing similar or somewhat similar sounds
- Archaic any musical instrument; esp., a wind instrument
- in animals and plants, a part composed of specialized tissues and adapted to the performance of a specific function or functions
- a means or instrument for the performance of some action: an organ of local government
- a means of communicating ideas or opinions, as a periodical
Origin: ME organe < OE organa & OFr organe, both < L organum, tool, implement (in LL(Ec), a church organ) < Gr organon, an implement, engine < ergon, work
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Music a. An instrument consisting of a number of pipes that sound tones when supplied with air and a keyboard that operates a mechanism controlling the flow of air to the pipes. Also called pipe organ.b. Any one of various other instruments, such as the electronic organ, that resemble a pipe organ either in mechanism or sound.
- Biology A differentiated part of an organism, such as an eye, wing, or leaf, that performs a specific function.
- An instrument or agency dedicated to the performance of specified functions: The FBI is an organ of the Justice Department.
- An instrument or a means of communication, especially a periodical issued by a political party, business firm, or other group.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French organe and from Old English organe, both from Latin organum, tool, instrument, from Greek organon; see werg- in Indo-European roots.
organ - Cultural Definition
organ - Medical Definition
organ - Science Definition
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.