The definition of dorsal is something related to the back or the upper side of a plant or animal.adjective
The fin on a shark's back is an example of something that would be described as dorsal.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- of, on, or near the back
- of or relating to the side of a leaf or other structure away from the axis; abaxial
- of or relating to the upper side of a thallus, as in liverworts or lichens
Origin: ME < ML dorsalis < L dorsualis < dorsum, the back
- dorsally adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Anatomy Of, toward, on, in, or near the back or upper surface of an organ, part, or organism.
- Botany Of or on the outer surface, underside, or back of an organ.
Origin: Middle English, from Late Latin dorsālis, from Latin dorsuālis, from dorsum, back.
- dorˈsal·ly adverb
dorsal - Medical Definition
- Of, toward, on, in, or near the back or upper surface of an organ, a part, or an organism.
- Lying on the back; supine.
dorsal - Science Definition
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.