The ventral fins are on the fishes belly.
- The definition of ventral is the lower part or belly of an animal or plant.
An example of something ventral is a fin on the underside of a fish.
- Anat., Zool. of, near, on, or toward the belly or the side of the body where the belly is located: in humans the front, or anterior, side but in most other animals the lower, or inferior, side
- Bot. of or belonging to the inner or lower surface
Origin of ventralFrench ; from Classical Latin ventralis ; from venter, belly ; from Indo-European base an unverified form udero-, belly from source Classical Latin uterus, womb, German wanst, paunch
- Anatomy a. Relating to or situated on or close to the abdomen; abdominal.b. Relating to or situated on or close to the anterior aspect of the human body or the lower surface of the body of an animal.
- Botany Of or on the surface of an organ or part facing toward the axis; adaxial.
Origin of ventralLate Latin ventrālis, from Latin venter, ventr-, belly.