- The definition of ventral is the lower part or belly of an animal or plant.
An example of something ventral is a fin on the underside of a fish.
The ventral fins are on the fishes belly.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- Anat., Zool. of, near, on, or toward the belly or the side of the body where the belly is located: in humans the front, or anterior, side but in most other animals the lower, or inferior, side
- Bot. of or belonging to the inner or lower surface
Origin: Fr from Classical Latin ventralis from venter, belly from Indo-European base an unverified form udero-, belly from source Classical Latin uterus, womb, German wanst, paunch
- ventrally adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Anatomy a. Relating to or situated on or close to the abdomen; abdominal.b. Relating to or situated on or close to the anterior aspect of the human body or the lower surface of the body of an animal.
- Botany Of or on the lower or inner surface of an organ that faces the axis; adaxial.
- A ventral fin.
- The abdominal segment of an insect.
Origin: Late Latin ventrālis, from Latin venter, ventr-, belly.
- venˈtral·ly adverb
ventral - Medical Definition
- Relating to or situated on or close to the abdomen; abdominal.
- Relating to or situated on or close to the anterior aspect of the body.
ventral - Science Definition
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.