- The definition of an agency is a group of people that performs some specific task, or that helps others in some way.
A business that takes care of all the details for a person planning a trip is an example of a travel agency.
- active force; action; power
- that by which something is done; means; instrumentality
- the business of any person, firm, etc. empowered to act for another
- the business office or district of such a person, firm, etc.
- an administrative division of government with specific functions
- an organization that offers a particular kind of assistance: a social agency
Origin of agencyMedieval Latin agentia ; from present participle of Classical Latin agere, act
- The condition of being in action; operation.
- The means or mode of acting; instrumentality.
- a. A business with agents that negotiate deals for clients: a talent agency; a real estate agency.b. An advertising or public relations firm.
- An administrative division of a government or international body.
Origin of agencyMedieval Latin agentia, from Latin agēns, agent-, present participle of agere, to do; see agent.
- The capacity, condition, or state of acting or of exerting power; action or activity; operation.
- The superintendence and agency of Providence in the natural world. --Woodward.
- A person or thing through which power is exerted or an end is achieved: instrumentality, means.
- The office or function of an agent; also, the relationship between a principal and that person's agent.
- An establishment engaged in doing business for another; also, the place of business or the district of such an agency.
- A department or other administrative unit of a government; also, the office or headquarters of, or the district administered by such unit of government.
- Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry
- Central Intelligence Agency
From Medieval Latin agentia, from Latin agens (present participle of agere (“to act”)), agentis (cognate with French agence, see also agent).
agency - Investment & Finance Definition
An arrangement in which a person, or agent, matches up buyers and sellers and charges a commission.