- The definition of a goal is something you aspire to do or wish to do or a goal can refer to scoring a point in certain sporting events.
- An example of goal is making a decision that you want to get out of debt.
- An example of goal is when you get the puck into the opposing team's net in hockey.
A hockey player guards the goal.
goal definition by Webster's New World
- the line or place at which a race, trip, etc. is ended
- an object or end that one strives to attain; aim
- in certain games,
- the line, crossbar, or net over or into which the ball or puck must be passed to score
- the act of so scoring
- the score made
Origin: Middle English gol, boundary ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps or akin uncertain or unknown; perhaps to Old English gælan, to hinder, impede
goal definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The purpose toward which an endeavor is directed; an objective. See Synonyms at intention.
- Sports a. The finish line of a race.b. A specified structure or zone into or over which players endeavor to advance a ball or puck.c. The score awarded for such an act.
- Linguistics a. A noun or noun phrase referring to the place to which something moves.b. See patient.
Origin: Middle English gol, boundary, possibly from Old English *gāl, barrier.