- The definition of intention is a determination or plan to do a specific thing.
An example of intention is someone going to nursing school.
intention definition by Webster's New World
- the act or fact of intending; determination to do a specified thing or act in a specified manner
- anything intended or planned; aim, end, or purpose
- purpose in regard to marriage
- Rare meaning or import
- Philos. the direction or orientation of the mind toward an object
- Surgery the manner or process by which a wound heals: the three degrees (first, second, and third intention) are distinguished by the relative amounts and types of granulation that occur
Origin: Middle English entencioun ; from Old French entencion ; from Classical Latin intentio ; from past participle of intendere
intention definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A course of action that one intends to follow.
- a. An aim that guides action; an objective.b. intentions Purpose with respect to marriage: honorable intentions.
- Medicine The process by which or the manner in which a wound heals.
- Archaic Import; meaning.
Origin: Middle English entencioun, from Old French intention, from Latin intentiō, intentiōn-, from intentus, intent, from past participle of intendere, to direct attention; see intend.
intention - Medical Definition
- An aim that guides action.
- The process by which or the manner in which a wound heals.
- intentional adjective