- The definition of animus is a feeling of hostility or ill will, or the motivation to do something.
- When you feel a really strong dislike for your roommate's boyfriend because he always leaves your apartment a big mess, this feeling you feel is an example of animus.
- When you go to the doctor and he tells you that you are in danger of getting diabetes if you don't lose weight and you then decide to go on a diet, the doctor's warning is an example of animus.
animus definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- an animating force or underlying purpose; intention
- in Jungian psychology, the masculine component of the unconscious of a woman, specif. when apprehended as a male figure by the psyche
- a feeling of strong ill will or hatred; animosity
Origin: Classical Latin soul, mind, disposition, passion, akin to anima: see animal
animus definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- An attitude that informs one's actions; disposition.
- A feeling of animosity; ill will. See Synonyms at enmity.
- In Jungian psychology, the masculine inner personality as present in women.
Origin: Latin; see anə- in Indo-European roots.
animus - Legal Definition
Webster's New World Law Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Hoboken, New Jersey. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Purposefully; intentionally.
- Animosity; hostility; ill will; strong dislike; hate.
- The animating thought, intention, or purpose of an act.
animus - Medical Definition
- An animating or energizing spirit.
- Intention to do something; disposition.
- A spirit of active hostility; ill will.
- In Jungian psychology, the masculine inner personality as present in the unconscious of the female.