- Destination is defined as the final purpose or place.
An example of a destination is Disney World on a trip to Florida.
- Rare a destining or being destined
- the end for which something or someone is destined
- the place toward which someone or something is going or sent
Origin of destinationMiddle English destinacioun ; from Classical Latin destinatio, settlement, appointment ; from destinare: see destine
- The place to which one is going or directed.
- The ultimate purpose for which something is created or intended.
- Archaic An act of appointing or setting aside for a specific purpose.
- Often used attributively to indicate desirability, as "a destination resort" (a resort that is a fine, desirable destination).
- Destination wedding - an advance planned wedding in a foreign country, usually at a high end resort, where the couple, the wedding party and their guests stay for about a week.
From Latin dēstinātiōnem, from dēstināre (“to destine”).