The beginning of a family vacation.
- The definition of beginning is something that is in the early stages or the first portion of something.
- An example of a beginning actor is one who lands his first role.
- An example of beginning sewing is a class for those who are new to sewing.
- Beginning means the moment or place when something started.
- An example of the beginning of a vacation is when you get on the plane to go away.
- An example of beginning is January, which is the first month of the year.
- a starting or commencing
- the time or place of starting; birth; origin; source: English democracy had its beginning in the Magna Carta
- the first part: the beginning of a book
- [usually pl.] an early stage or example: the beginnings of scientific agriculture
- The act or process of bringing or being brought into being; a start: the beginning of the universe.
- a. The time when something begins or is begun: the beginning of June.b. The place where something begins or is begun: at the beginning of the road.
- a. The first part: The front matter is at the beginning of the book.b. often beginnings An early stage or phase: the beginnings of human life on this planet.c. The source or cause: What was the beginning of the dispute?
beginning birth dawn genesis nascence rise
These nouns denote the initial stage of a developmental process: the beginning of a new era in technology; the birth of generative grammar; the dawn of civilization; the genesis of quantum mechanics; the nascence of classical sculpture; the rise and decline of an ancient city-state.
(countable and uncountable, plural beginnings)
- (uncountable) The act of doing that which begins anything; commencement of an action, state, or space of time; entrance into being or upon a course; the first act, effort, or state of a succession of acts or states.
- That which is begun; a rudiment or element.
- That which begins or originates something; the first cause; origin; source.
- The initial portion of some extended thing.
- The author describes the protagonist's youth in the beginning of the story
- The house you want is down at the beginning of the street
- Present participle of begin.
- He is beginning to read a new book.
- (informal) Of or relating to the first portion of some extended thing.
- in the beginning paragraph of the chapter
- in the beginning section of the course
Verbal noun of begin.