- a person who begins anything
- a person just beginning to do or learn something; inexperienced, unskilled person; novice
- One that begins.
- One who is just starting to learn or do something; a novice.
- Someone who is just starting at something, or has only recently started.
- I'm pretty new at learning Japanese, I'm just a beginner.
- Someone who sets (puts) something in motion
- The beginner of the games lit the ceremonial torch.
- Frontpage is the WYSIWYG design tool of choice for millions of designers precisely because it can be easy enough for a a beginner to use and also allow the more advanced designers to tweak things like CSS and other web 2.0 technologies.
- The beginner takes first a course in the grammar of classical Arabic, for he has hitherto learned only to read, write and count.
- He was climbing alone, something I guess you're not supposed to do, especially if you're a beginner like Shipton was.
- Henry of Trastamara, the beginner of the new Ifenryof kings (1368-1379), reigned by election.
- By the time the group stopped for lunch—two large five-cheese pizzas at Big Billie's—Donnie had progressed to the point of being able to ski alone from the top of the beginner slope.