- The definition of a postulate is something accepted as truth and used as the basis for an argument or theory.
An example of postulate is the fact that the world is not flat to support the argument of strong scientific development over the centuries.
- Postulate is defined as to claim, demand or assert something as truth.
- An example of postulate is to require equality.
- An example of postulate is to defend the existence of God.
transitive verb-·lat·ed, -·lat·ing
- Archaic to claim; demand; require
- to assume without proof to be true, real, or necessary, esp. as a basis for argument
- to take as self-evident; assume
Origin of postulatefrom Classical Latin postulatus, past participle of postulare, to demand from base of poscere, to demand from Indo-European an unverified form p??sk?, question from base an unverified form per?-, to ask from source German frage, question
- something postulated; assumption or axiom
- a prerequisite
- a basic principle
Origin of postulateModL postulatum < neut. of L postulatus
transitive verbpos·tu·lat·ed, pos·tu·lat·ing, pos·tu·lates
- To assume or assert the truth, reality, or necessity of, especially as a basis of an argument: “We can see individuals, but we can't see providence; we have to postulate it” ( Aldous Huxley )
- To propose as a hypothesis or explanation: Researchers now postulate that the disease is caused by a virus.
- To assume as a premise or axiom; take for granted.
- Archaic To make claim for; demand.
- Something assumed without proof as being self-evident or generally accepted, especially when used as a basis for an argument: “the postulate that there is little moral difference between the superpowers” ( Henry A. Kissinger )
- A fundamental element; a basic principle.
- Mathematics An axiom.
- Archaic A requirement; a prerequisite.
Origin of postulateMedieval Latin postulāre postulāt- to nominate to a bishopric, to assume from Latin to request ; see prek- in Indo-European roots.
(third-person singular simple present postulates, present participle postulating, simple past and past participle postulated)