- The definition of a postulate is something accepted as truth and used as the basis for an argument or theory.
An example of postulate is the fact that the world is not flat to support the argument of strong scientific development over the centuries.
- Postulate is defined as to claim, demand or assert something as truth.
- An example of postulate is to require equality.
- An example of postulate is to defend the existence of God.
postulate definition by Webster's New World
- to claim; demand; require
- to assume without proof to be true, real, or necessary, esp. as a basis for argument
- to take as self-evident; assume
Origin: ; from Classical Latin postulatus, past participle of postulare, to demand ; from base of poscere, to demand ; from Indo-European an unverified form pṛskā, question ; from base an unverified form per-, to ask from source German frage, question
- something postulated; assumption or axiom
- a prerequisite
- a basic principle
Origin: ModL postulatum < neut. of L postulatus
- postulation noun
postulate definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb pos·tu·lat·ed, pos·tu·lat·ing, pos·tu·lates
- To make claim for; demand.
- To assume or assert the truth, reality, or necessity of, especially as a basis of an argument.
- To assume as a premise or axiom; take for granted. See Synonyms at presume.
- Something assumed without proof as being self-evident or generally accepted, especially when used as a basis for an argument: “the postulate that there is little moral difference between the superpowers” (Henry A. Kissinger).
- A fundamental element; a basic principle.
- Mathematics An axiom.
- A requirement; a prerequisite.
Origin: Medieval Latin postulāre, postulāt-, to nominate to a bishopric, to assume, from Latin, to request; see prek- in Indo-European roots.
- posˌtu·laˈtion noun
postulate - Cultural Definition
A statement accepted as true for the purposes of argument or scientific investigation; also, a basic principle. (See axiom.)
postulate - Medical Definition
- postulation noun
postulate - Science Definition