- The definition of a supposition is an assumption.
An example of a supposition is when scientists are conducting an experiment and they go in with the assumption that all the people in the study will take their medicine.
- the act of supposing
- something supposed; assumption; hypothesis
Origin: OFr from Classical Latin suppositio from suppositus, past participle of supponere: see suppose
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The act of supposing.
- Something supposed; an assumption.
- supˌpo·siˈtion·al adjective
- supˌpo·siˈtion·al·ly adverb