- The definition of a supposition is an assumption.
An example of a supposition is when scientists are conducting an experiment and they go in with the assumption that all the people in the study will take their medicine.
supposition definition by Webster's New World
- the act of supposing
- something supposed; assumption; hypothesis
Origin: Old French ; from Classical Latin suppositio ; from suppositus, past participle of supponere: see suppose
supposition definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The act of supposing.
- Something supposed; an assumption.
- supˌpo·siˈtion·al adjective
- supˌpo·siˈtion·al·ly adverb