- Require is defined as to need or demand.
An example of to require is someone needing sleep when they are very tired.
transitive verbrequired, requiring
- to ask or insist upon, as by right or authority; demand: to require obedience
- to order; command: to require someone to be present
- to be in need of; need: to require help
- to call for as necessary or appropriate: work that requires a steady hand
- to demand by virtue of a law, regulation, etc.: what is required by law
- Archaic to ask for; request
Origin of requireMiddle English requiren ; from base of Old French requerre ; from Vulgar Latin an unverified form requaerere, for Classical Latin requirere ; from re-, again + quaerere, to ask
transitive verbre·quired, re·quir·ing, re·quires
- To have as a requisite or necessity; need or depend on: Do you require assistance? Most plants require plenty of water.
- a. To stipulate as obligatory by authority: The law requires full disclosure of charitable donations.b. To demand as obligatory or appropriate: Skiing requires practice.
- To impose an obligation on; compel: The school requires all students to study mathematics.
Origin of requireMiddle English requiren, from Old French requerre, from Vulgar Latin *requaerere, alteration (influenced by quaerere, to seek) of Latin requīrere : re-, re- + quaerere, to seek.
(third-person singular simple present requires, present participle requiring, simple past and past participle required)
- 1526, Bible, tr. William Tyndale, Mark V:
- I requyre the in the name of god, that thou torment me nott.
- To demand, to insist upon (having); to call for authoritatively. [from 14th c.]
- Naturally to demand (something) as indispensable; to need, to call for as necessary. [from 15th c.]
- To demand of (someone) to do something. [from 18th c.]