- Require is defined as to need or demand.
An example of to require is someone needing sleep when they are very tired.
require definition by Webster's New World
- to ask or insist upon, as by right or authority; demand: to require obedience
- to order; command: to require someone to be present
- to be in need of; need: to require help
- to call for as necessary or appropriate: work that requires a steady hand
- to demand by virtue of a law, regulation, etc.: what is required by law
- Archaic to ask for; request
Origin: Middle English requiren ; from base of Old French requerre ; from Vulgar Latin an unverified form requaerere, for Classical Latin requirere ; from re-, again plush quaerere, to ask
require definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb re·quired, re·quir·ing, re·quires
- To have as a requisite; need: Most plants require sunlight.
- To call for as obligatory or appropriate; demand. See Synonyms at demand.
- To impose an obligation on; compel: Students are required to attend classes.
Origin: Middle English requiren, from Old French requerre, from Vulgar Latin *requaerere, alteration (influenced by quaerere, to seek) of Latin requīrere : re-, re- + quaerere, to seek.
- re·quirˈa·ble adjective
- re·quirˈer noun