- Needed; essential: missing several required parts.
- Obligatory: required reading.
Variant of require
- to ask or insist upon, as by right or authority; demand: to require obedience
- to order; command: to require someone to be present
- to be in need of; need: to require help
- to call for as necessary or appropriate: work that requires a steady hand
- to demand by virtue of a law, regulation, etc.: what is required by law
- Archaic to ask for; request
Origin: ME requiren < base of OFr requerre < VL *requaerere, for L requirere < re-, again + quaerere, to ask
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.