- The definition of incumbent is laying on top of something.
An example of incumbent is a cat lounging on its sleeping owner.
- Incumbent is defined as the person who is already in an elected office.
An example of incumbent is the person who is currently the president.
- lying, resting, or pressing with its weight on something else
- currently in office
Origin of incumbentClassical Latin incumbens, present participle of incumbere, to recline or rest on ; from in-, on + cubare, to lie down: see cube
- Imposed as an obligation or duty; obligatory: felt it was incumbent on us all to help.
- Lying, leaning, or resting on something else: incumbent rock strata.
- Currently holding a specified office: the incumbent mayor.
Origin of incumbentMiddle English, holder of an office, from Medieval Latin incumbēns, incumbent-, from Latin, present participle of incumbere, to lean upon, apply oneself to : in-, on; see in–2 + -cumbere, to recline.
(comparative more incumbent, superlative most incumbent)
- Imposed on someone as an obligation, especially due to one's office.
- Proper behavior is incumbent on all holders of positions of trust.
- Lying; resting; reclining; recumbent.
- (botany, geology) Resting on something else; in botany, said of anthers when lying on the inner side of the filament, or of cotyledons when the radicle lies against the back of one of them.
- (zoology) Bent downwards so that the ends touch, or rest on, something else.
- the incumbent toe of a bird
- Being the current holder of an office or a title.
- If the incumbent senator dies, he is replaced by a person appointed by the governor.
From Middle English, from stem incumbent-, of Medieval Latin incumbēns (“holder of a church position”), from Latin present participle of incumbō (“I lie down upon”).
incumbent - Computer Definition
An entity that is currently in power. An "incumbent company" is an organization that has been providing goods and services for some time. In politics, the "incumbent senator" is the person who currently holds that office. See ILEC.