The definition of unnecessary is not needed.
An example of something unnecessary is a bowl of sugar for cooking meatballs.
Not necessary; needless.
(comparative more unnecessary, superlative most unnecessary)
un- +"Ž necessary
- Again with the unnecessary explanations.
- In fact, at the party he had spent an unnecessary amount of time with the woman he almost married – and hadn't even introduced her.
- You will find sleeping to be an unnecessary luxury as well.
- Causing unnecessary damage to the life and property of noncombatants.
- "You forget that stairs are unnecessary," observed the Wizard.