- The definition of expendable is someone or something that is disposable or not necessary or important.
A person who contributes nothing to a project and who is thus not necessary to complete it is an example of someone who is expendable.
- that can be expended
- Mil. designating or of equipment or personnel considered worth sacrificing to achieve an objective
- designating or of a person or thing regarded as worth sacrificing under particular circumstances
- expendability noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Subject to use or consumption: an expendable source.
- Not worth salvaging or reusing: expendable rocket boosters.
- Not strictly necessary; dispensable: an expendable budget item; expendable personnel.
- Open to sacrifice in the interests of gaining an objective, especially a military one: expendable civilian targets.