expenditure[ek spen′di c̸hər, ik-]
- The definition of an expenditure is the act of spending money or time and it is something on which you spend money.
An example of an expenditure is the money spent on office equipment that you have purchased.
Keeping track of expenditures.
- the act of expending; a spending or using up of money, time, etc.
- the amount of money, time, etc. expended; expense
Origin of expenditure; from Medieval Latin expenditus, irregular past participle for Classical Latin expendere + -ure
- The act or process of expending; outlay.
- a. An amount expended.b. An expense.
Origin of expenditureMedieval Latin expenditus, past participle of expendere, to expend; see expend + –ure.
(usually uncountable, plural expenditures)
From stem of Medieval Latin expenditus, irregular plural of expendo (“I weigh, I pay out”), + -ure (“process or result”)