- The definition of an expenditure is the act of spending money or time and it is something on which you spend money.
An example of an expenditure is the money spent on office equipment that you have purchased.
Keeping track of expenditures.
expenditure definition by Webster's New World
- the act of expending; a spending or using up of money, time, etc.
- the amount of money, time, etc. expended; expense
Origin: ; from Midieval Latin expenditus, irregular past participle for Classical Latin expendere plush -ure
expenditure definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The act or process of expending; outlay.
- a. An amount expended.b. An expense.
Origin: Medieval Latin expenditus, past participle of expendere, to expend; see expend + -ure.