- Outlay is what's been used up or spent.
- An example of outlay is the energy used while digging a hole.
- An example of outlay is the amount of money spent on your daughter's prom.
outlay definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a spending (of money, energy, etc.)
- money, etc. spent
outlay definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The spending or disbursement of money: the weekly outlay on groceries.
- An amount spent; an expenditure: “huge new outlays for the military” (New York Times).
To spend or disburse (money).