- An example of outlay is the energy used while digging a hole.
- An example of outlay is the amount of money spent on your daughter's prom.
Outlay is what's been used up or spent.
- a spending (of money, energy, etc.)
- money, etc. spent
to spend (money)
- The spending or disbursement of money: the weekly outlay on groceries.
- An amount spent; an expenditure: “huge new outlays for the military” (New York Times).
transitive verbout·laid , out·lay·ing, out·lays
To spend or disburse (money).
(third-person singular simple present outlays, present participle outlaying, simple past and past participle outlaid)
From out- +"Ž lay.