- To expose is defined as to make something visible or make something known.
An example of expose is when someone finds out about a scandal and publicizes it.
expose definition by Webster's New World
- to lay open (to danger, attack, ridicule, etc.); leave unprotected
- to make accessible or subject (to an influence or action)
- to put or leave out in an unprotected place; abandon: some ancient peoples exposed unwanted infants
- to allow to be seen; disclose; reveal; exhibit; display
- to make (a crime, fraud, etc.) known; unmask
- to make known the crimes, etc. of
- Photog. to subject (a sensitized film or plate) to radiation having a photochemical effect
Origin: Middle English exposen ; from Old French exposer ; from Classical Latin expositus, past participle of exponere (see expound) but influenced, influence by Old French poser: see pose
- exposer noun
expose definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb ex·posed, ex·pos·ing, ex·pos·es
- a. To subject or allow to be subjected to an action, influence, or condition: exposed themselves to disease; exposed their children to classical music.b. To subject (a photographic film, for example) to the action of light.c. To deprive of shelter or protection; lay open to danger or harm: troops that were exposed to gunfire.
- To make visible: Cleaning exposed the grain of the wood. See Synonyms at show.
- a. To make known (something discreditable).b. To reveal the guilt or wrongdoing of: expose a criminal.
- To engage in indecent exposure of (oneself).
Origin: Middle English exposen, from Old French exposer, alteration (influenced by poser, to put, place) of Latin expōnere, to set forth; see expound.
- ex·posˈer noun
- An exposure or a revelation of something discreditable.
- A formal exposition of facts.
Origin: French, past participle of exposer, to expose, from Old French; see expose.
expose - Computer Definition
(1) To make available. When software "exposes" certain functions, it makes those routines available to the programmer through a programming interface (API). If a company "exposes" its Web services, it is making certain services available to users or to other companies over the Web.
(2) (ExposÃ©) A feature of the Mac OS X operating system, starting with Version 10.3, that shrinks all open windows and displays them side-by-side. It is similar in purpose to the Flip 3D feature in the Windows Aero interface. See Flip 3D.