- The definition of a confession is something you admit to that you are embarrassed to admit, or that you do not often share or tell people.
- When you go to church to see a priest and tell him about your sins, this is an example of a confession.
- When you write out the details of a crime you committed for the police, this is an example of a confession.
- When you share an embarrassing secret with a friend, this is an example of a confession.
confession definition by Webster's New World
- the act of confessing; acknowledgment; specif.,
- an admission of guilt, esp. formally in writing, as by a person charged with a crime
- the confessing of sins to a priest in the sacrament of penance
- a general acknowledgment of sin, or a form expressing this used in public worship
- something confessed
- a statement of religious beliefs, esp. as held by a Christian church, usually longer than a creedin full confession of faith
- a church having such a confession: communion
- a statement of religious beliefs, esp. as held by a Christian church, usually longer than a creed
- the tomb or shrine of a martyr or confessor
- a story of or as of one's life experiences, revealing faults and confidential personal details
confession definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The act or process of confessing.
- Something confessed, especially disclosure of one's sins to a priest for absolution.
- A written or oral statement acknowledging guilt, made by one who has been accused or charged with an offense.
- An avowal of belief in the doctrines of a particular faith; a creed.
- A church or group of worshipers adhering to a specific creed.
confession - Cultural Definition
In some churches, notably the Roman Catholic Church, a sacrament in which repentant sinners individually or as a group privately confess their sins in front of a priest and receive absolution from the guilt of their sins.
In the first few centuries of Christianity, repentant sinners were assigned public penances: sinners had to stay outside the entrance of the church and ask the people going inside to pray for them. The period of public penance could be shortened through an indulgence.
confession - Legal Definition
- A confession induced by the police or other law enforcement officers’ use of coercion, deceit, promises, or psychological pressure.
- A confession obtained in violation of the Miranda Rule.