- The definition of a disclaimer is a statement that something isn't true or that someone isn't responsible.
A sign in a parking garage that says the garage is not responsible for any damage is an example of adisclaimer of responsibility.
- a disclaiming; denial or renunciation, as of a claim, title, etc.
- a refusal to accept responsibility; disavowal
Origin of disclaimerAnglo-French desclamer, infinitive used as noun
- A repudiation or denial of responsibility or connection.
- Law A declining of responsibility or liability for something.
Origin of disclaimerMiddle English, denial of a feudal claim, from Anglo-Norman desclaimer, to disclaim, denial of a feudal claim; see disclaim.
- One who disclaims, disowns, or renounces.
- A public disavowal, as of pretensions, claims, opinions, and the like.
- (law) A denial, disavowal, or renunciation, as of a title, claim, interest, estate, or trust; relinquishment or waiver of an interest or estate.
disclaimer - Legal Definition
A clause in a contract or other writing, stating that the producer or seller of product, device, or process makes no promises about its quality or performance and will not be responsible for harm resulting therefrom.