The definition of contradiction is a statement that is different than another statement.noun
An example of a contradiction is when a witness's second statement changes the details of what they said they saw during a crime in their first statement.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- a contradicting or being contradicted
- a statement in opposition to another; denial
- a condition in which things tend to be contrary to each other; inconsistency; discrepancy
- a person, thing, or statement having contradictory elements or qualities
Origin: ME contradiccioun < OFr contradiction < L contradictio
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. The act of contradicting.b. The state of being contradicted.
- A denial.
- Inconsistency; discrepancy.
- Something that contains contradictory elements.