- The definition of contradiction is a statement that is different than another statement.
An example of a contradiction is when a witness's second statement changes the details of what they said they saw during a crime in their first statement.
contradiction definition by Webster's New World
- a contradicting or being contradicted
- a statement in opposition to another; denial
- a condition in which things tend to be contrary to each other; inconsistency; discrepancy
- a person, thing, or statement having contradictory elements or qualities
Origin: Middle English contradiccioun ; from Old French contradiction ; from Classical Latin contradictio
contradiction definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. The act of contradicting.b. The state of being contradicted.
- A denial.
- Inconsistency; discrepancy.
- Something that contains contradictory elements.