- An example of a denial is the rejection of the existence of God.
- An example of a denial is statement that you don't agree with what has been said about your actions.
Denial is defined as refusing to accept or believe something, or a statement to contradict someone or something else.
- the act of denying; a saying “no” (to a request, demand, etc.)
- a statement in opposition to another; contradiction: the denial of a rumor
- the act of disowning; repudiation: the denial of one's family
- a refusal to believe or accept (a doctrine, etc.)
- Psychol. an unconscious thought process whereby one allays anxiety by refusing to acknowledge certain unpleasant facts, feelings, etc.: now often in the phrase in denial
- Law the opposing by a defendant of a claim or charge against him or her
- A refusal to comply with or satisfy a request.
- a. A refusal to grant the truth of a statement or allegation; a contradiction.b. Law The formal challenge by a defendant of the truth of an allegation made by the plaintiff.
- a. A refusal to accept or believe something, such as a doctrine or belief.b. Psychology An unconscious defense mechanism characterized by refusal to acknowledge painful realities, thoughts, or feelings.
- The act of disowning or disavowing; repudiation.
- Abstinence; self-denial.
Origin of denialFrom deny
- (logic) The negation in logic.
- The denial of "There might be X" is the null, "False, there is no X."
- A refusal to comply with a request.
- Every time we asked for an interview we got a denial.
- An assertion of untruth.
- The singer has issued a sweeping denial of all the rumors.
- Refusal to believe a problem exists
- We couldn't break through his denial about being alcoholic.
- (dated, psychology) A defense mechanism involving a refusal to accept the truth of a phenomenon or prospect.
- He is in denial that he has a drinking problem.
denial - Legal Definition
In litigation, a rejection of a claim or request; an assertion in a pleading rejecting facts asserted by the other party in its own pleading.general denial
A response that questions all of the material accusations in a petition or complaint.specific denial
A separate response to several of the plaintiff’s charges individually denying them, while not denying all of them.