- Acceptance means agreeing to receive something or the act of receiving it.
An example of acceptance would be the taking of a bribe.
- The definition of acceptance means agreeing with or taking on a belief or beliefs.
An example of acceptance would be agreeing with the theory of evolution.
acceptance definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- an accepting or being accepted
- approving reception; approval; acceptability
- belief in; assent
- a draft or bill of exchange that has been accepted for payment
- Law an express or implied act by which one accepts an obligation, offer, contract, etc. together with all its legal consequences
acceptance definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- The act or process of accepting.
- The state of being accepted or acceptable.
- Favorable reception; approval.
- Belief in something; agreement.
- Abbr. acpt.a. A formal indication by a debtor of willingness to pay a time draft or bill of exchange.b. A written instrument so accepted.
- Law Compliance by one party with the terms and conditions of another's offer so that a contract becomes legally binding between them.
acceptance - Business Definition
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Business Terms Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- An agreement to purchase goods subject to specified conditions.
- See banker's acceptance.
acceptance - Investment & Finance Definition
Wall Street Words: An A to Z Guide to Investment Terms for Today's Investor by David L. Scott. Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
See banker's acceptance.
acceptance - Legal Definition
The act of voluntarily agreeing, expressly or by implication, to the terms of an offer, thereby creating a contract. However, if the act modifies or adds to the terms of the offer, it is not an acceptance, but a counteroffer. See also offer.
To accept delivery of property or to otherwise agree, expressly or by implication, to become its owner, either in exchange for the performance of a contractual obligation or the completion of an inter vivos gift. See also contract and gift.
The receipt of a check or other negotiable instrument by a bank or another drawee.