- The definition of acceptability is to be something that is considered to be socially OK or within the realm of what is appropriate, or something that is tolerable but not necessarily desired.
1. Being a single parent is an example of something that has gained more acceptability.2. An example of acceptability is compromising with your spouse to keep the thermostat at 70 when you want it at 68 and he wants it at 72.
(countable and uncountable, plural acceptabilities)
- The quality of being acceptable; acceptableness.
- Acceptability of repentance. - Jeremy Taylor, about 1640
- (military) Operation plan review criterion. The determination as to whether the contemplated course of action is worth the cost in manpower, materiel, and time involved; is consistent with the law of war; and is militarily and politically supportable. (JP 1-02 Department of Defense Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms)
acceptable + -ity
Variant of acceptable
- worth accepting; satisfactory or, sometimes, merely adequate
- tolerable; bearable