- the generally accepted meaning (of a word or expression)
- Archaic acceptance
Origin of acceptationLate Latin acceptatio: see accept
- The usual or accepted meaning, as of a word or expression: In one of its acceptations value is a technical term in music.
- Favorable reception; approval.
- 1769, Oxford Standard text, King James Bible: 1 Timothy, i, 15,
- This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
- The meaning in which a word or expression is understood, or generally received.
- The term is to be used according to its usual acceptation.
- Ready belief.
accept + -ation