significance[sig nif′ə kəns]
Significance is defined as the importance or meaning of something.
An example of significance is loving an old watch because it was your father’s.
- that which is signified; meaning
- the quality of being significant; suggestiveness; expressiveness
- importance; consequence; moment
Origin of significanceLate Middle English ; from Classical Latin significantia ; from significans: see significant
- The state or quality of being significant: a matter of some significance. See Synonyms at importance.
- A meaning that is expressed or implied: What was the significance of that smile?
From Latin significantia.