- The definition of significant is having meaning, influence or importance.
An example of significant is the first person to undergo a heart transplant.
significant definition by Webster's New World
- having or expressing a meaning
- full of meaning
- important; momentous
- having or conveying a special or hidden meaning; suggestive
- of or pertaining to an observed departure from a hypothesis too large to be reasonably attributed to chance: a significant statistical difference
Origin: Classical Latin significans, present participle of significare, to signify
- significantly adverb
significant definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Having or expressing a meaning; meaningful.
- Having or expressing a covert meaning; suggestive: a significant glance. See Synonyms at expressive.
- Having or likely to have a major effect; important: a significant change in the tax laws.
- Fairly large in amount or quantity: significant casualties; no significant opposition.
- Statistics Of or relating to observations or occurrences that are too closely correlated to be attributed to chance and therefore indicate a systematic relationship.
Origin: Latin significāns, significant-, present participle of significāre, to signify; see signify.
- sig·nifˈi·cant·ly adverb